Like I mentioned last week, it's SO GREAT when I run across people - like Lucy - who believe as I do that yoga is for everybody. It's also great when they can put their belief into practice by modifying their classes for people's needs. It's a skill that comes from knowing how human bodies work.
Which brings me to the 5 reasons all yoga teachers should educate themselves about human anatomy and biomechanics:
- We are health professionals and we work with human bodies!
- The more you know about how bodies work, the better equipped you are to refer on when needed.
- A yoga teacher with a good working knowledge of human anatomy can provide an excellent complement to physiotherapy and other allied health interventions, as many of our students already know.
- Knowing how bodies work means you can educate your students to do ‘self-maintenance’ and that can really help people move out of pain and manage their chronic conditions in an empowered way.
- If we want to be taken seriously, we need to be serious about our profession and that means getting educated. Especially about anatomy.
What do you think? Have I missed any?