This is my favourite summer salad. It's a modified version of Hellenic Republic's Cypriot Grain Salad, but with no grains (for some reason I am unable to stick to a recipe as it's written. You have the same problem?). You can make up a big bowl and eat it for lunch for days!
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Big handful mint, chopped (or whatever fresh herbs you have growng in your yard. We tend to have ready supplies of parsley and mint)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup quinoa - I like brown for the nutty taste
- 1 tin brown lentils, drained
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 2 tsp toasted cumin seeds (I dry-toast all the nuts & seeds together in a cast-iron pan)
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp honey
Follow packet instructions to cook your quinoa.
Drain well and allow to cool.
Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey until combined.
In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, freekah, lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well and season to taste.
Place into serving dish and top with cumin yoghurt, if you are using it. I don't always.